Incredible and fun facts to explore

Lake Titicaca facts

While investigating facts about Lake Titicaca Map and Lake Titicaca Peru, I found out little known, but curios details like:

The Uru people, who live on 42 artificial floating islands made of reeds in Lake Titicaca.

how lake titicaca was formed?

Pre-Incan people are still living on man-made floating islands of grass, as they have for hundreds of years, on lake Titicaca

What to do at lake titicaca peru?

In my opinion, it is useful to put together a list of the most interesting details from trusted sources that I've come across answering what is there to do at lake titicaca. Here are 34 of the best facts about Lake Titicaca Floating Islands and Lake Titicaca Altitude I managed to collect.

what to do at lake titicaca?

  1. The Peruvian Navy still actively operates a ship that was built in England in 1862, disassembled into small pieces and shipped across the Atlantic, and carried by mules over 220 miles to Lake Titicaca to be reassembled. Its sister ship (sent the same way) also still works on the lake.

  2. There are more than 530 aquatic species living in Lake Titicaca.

  3. Flooding in 1986 to 1987 cost the region more than $125 million in economic losses. The droughts in 1982, 1983, 1989 and 1990 cost the region more than $200 million in damages.

  4. The largest lake in South America is Southern Peru's Lake Titicaca.

  5. There are 24 species of freshwater snails living in Lake Titicaca.

  6. Lake Titicaca is susceptible to both drought conditions and flood conditions, depending on rainfall in a particular year.

  7. In the area surrounding Lake Titicaca there are more than 180 ancient monuments and ruins providing proof of the Incan civilization that once dominated the region.

  8. The average depth of Lake Titicaca is 460 and 600 feet, while its maximum depth is 930 feet in its northeast corner. It is 120 miles long by 50 miles wide.

  9. Approximately only 5% of the water coming into Lake Titicaca is drained by a river. This river is River Desaguadero. The remaining 95% of incoming water is lost by evaporation into the atmosphere.

  10. In 2000, scientists discovered an ancient temple submerged inside Lake Titicaca in Bolivia/Peru.

lake titicaca facts
What can you do at lake titicaca?

Why is lake titicaca important?

You can easily fact check why is your lake titicaca not filled with by examining the linked well-known sources.

Lake Titicaca's altitude is 12,500 feet above sea level, and it covers an area of 3240 square miles.

The population of the area surrounding Lake Titicaca is approximately 228,000.

The large part of Lake Titicaca is referred to as Lago Grande which means "big lake" while the small part of Lake Titicaca is referred to as Lago Pequeno which means "little lake."

There are manmade islands floating in Lake Titicaca, which are home to people that can date their ancestry to the Incans. These islands are made from totora reeds and called Islas Flotantes.

Because of its high elevation, Lake Titicaca's climate is cool or cold for much of the year.

When was lake titicaca formed?

The Uros are pre-Incan people that live on man made islands, made from reeds, on Lake Titicaca yet do not reject technology and some even have satellite tv powered by solar panels

How high is lake titicaca?

The origin of the name Lake Titicaca is unknown. However because of the shape of the lake, which resembles a puma hunting a rabbit, it has been translated as "Rock Puma".

The water in Lake Titicaca is slightly salty, referred to as brackish.

People wishing to visit Lake Titicaca's region can do so via bus, plane, car, train, or hike if they choose.

The most common fish in Lake Titicaca are killifish and catfish.

Lake Titicaca is believed to be the birthplace of the Inca civilization's first king, the sun god's son, Manco Capac.

When was lake titicaca discovered?

The Scrotum Frog of Lake Titicaca (Telmatobius culeus) is facing extinction

The average temperature of Lake Titicaca is only 11 degrees Celsius.

The highest lake in the world that is navigable by large vessels is Lake Titicaca in Peru.

40% of Lake Titicaca belongs to Bolivia while the other 60% belongs to Peru.

The Scrotum Frog, which is native to the waters of Lake Titicaca.

How big is lake titicaca?

It’s approximately sixty-nine hundred nautical miles from Lake Titicaca to Djibouti.

Over 10k Scrotum Frogs have suddenly died at Lake Titicaca creating the most juvenilely entertaining headline in history. Cue Beavis laugh.

There exists an animal called the "Scrotum fRog" in lake Titicaca

Not only does Bolivia have Lake Titicaca, but it also has Lake Poopo and River Orinoco

This is our collection of basic interesting facts about Lake Titicaca. The fact lists are intended for research in school, for college students or just to feed your brain with new realities. Possible use cases are in quizzes, differences, riddles, homework facts legend, cover facts, and many more. Whatever your case, learn the truth of the matter why is Lake Titicaca so important!

Editor Veselin Nedev Editor